Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||James Ponsoldt|
|Based on||The Circle
by Dave Eggers
|Music by||Danny Elfman|
|Edited by||Lisa Lassek|
|Box office||$9.3 million|
The Circle is a 2017 American techno-thriller film directed by James Ponsoldtand written by Ponsoldt and Dave Eggers, based on Eggers’ 2013 novel of the same name. The film stars Emma Watson, Tom Hanks, John Boyega, Karen Gillan, Ellar Coltrane, Patton Oswalt, Glenne Headly, and Bill Paxton, in his final film appearance following his death in February 2017.
A young tech worker named Mae Holland takes a job at a powerful Internet corporation called The Circle that was co-founded by Eamon Bailey and Tom Stenton. She quickly rises up the company’s ranks and soon finds herself in a perilous situation concerning privacy, surveillance, and freedom. Mae comes to learn that her decisions and actions will determine the future of humanity.
- Emma Watson as Mae Holland, the latest young member of The Circle.
- Tom Hanks as Eamon Bailey, the head and co-founder of The Circle.
- John Boyega as Ty Lafitte / Kalden, a member of The Circle and one of Mae’s co-workers.
- Karen Gillan as Annie Allerton, a member of The Circle and one of Mae’s co-workers.
- Ellar Coltrane as Mercer, Mae’s ex-boyfriend.
- Patton Oswalt as Tom Stenton, a co-founder of The Circle.
- Bill Paxton as Vinnie Holland, Mae’s father.
- Glenne Headly as Bonnie Holland, Mae’s mother.
- Poorna Jagannathan as Dr. Jessica Villalobos
- Nate Corddry as Dan
- Jimmy Wong as Mitch
- Ellen Wong as Renata
- Judy Reyes as Congresswoman Santos
The Circle is a great hypothetical example of how modern social media can effect the lives of the innocent. Many people do not want to be filmed in any way, but it is happening, and sometimes “live.” This intense techno thriller is a very well portrayed example of what we might be headed toward. I can’t give it 5 stars because it lacks urgency, but I will give it 4 shining stars because the acting is superb, and the plot is spot on. – MR