Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Alan Taylor|
|Based on||Characters by
Gale Anne Hurd
|Music by||Lorne Balfe|
|Edited by||Roger Barton|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Box office||$129.7 million|
Terminator Genisys is a 2015 American science fictionaction film directed by Alan Taylor and written by Laeta Kalogridis and Patrick Lussier. It is the fifth installment in the Terminator series, and acts as a retcon to the series.Arnold Schwarzenegger reprises his role as the eponymous character, along with newcomers Jason Clarke, Emilia Clarke, Jai Courtney, J. K. Simmons, Dayo Okeniyi, Matt Smith, Courtney B. Vance, and Lee Byung-hun. The film was released by Paramount Pictures on July 1, 2015. In addition to showing in regular theaters, it was also shown in 3D, Real 3D, and IMAX 3D.
In 2029, Human Resistance leader John Connor (Jason Clarke) launches a massive final offensive onLos Angeles against Skynet and its time machine weapon. Before the Resistance can reach the time machine, Skynet sends back a T-800 (Model 101) to 1984 to kill John’s mother, Sarah Connor (Emilia Clarke). Kyle Reese (Jai Courtney), John’s right-hand man, volunteers to travel back in time in order to protect her. As Kyle floats in the machine’s magnetic field, he receives new memories from his childhood about events in 2017.
When it arrives in Los Angeles in 1984, Skynet’s T-800 is killed by Sarah and a reprogrammed T-800 (Arnold Schwarzenegger) sent to protect Sarah by an unknown agent when she was nine years old, whom Sarah has named “Pops”. Kyle arrives a short time later and is immediately attacked by a T-1000 (Lee Byung-hun). Sarah and Pops join Kyle and kill the T-1000 using acid. Sarah and Pops have constructed a makeshift time machine similar to Skynet’s, and Sarah plans to travel to 1997 to prevent Skynet from becoming self-aware. Realizing the timeline has been altered, Kyle is convinced that the future has changed due to the warning he received in his vision during time travel. He persuades Sarah to travel to 2017 instead to stop Skynet, which is being constructed under the moniker Genisys.
In 2017, Kyle and Sarah materialize in the middle of a busy San Francisco highway and are apprehended by city police. While being treated for injuries, Sarah and Kyle learn about “Genisys”, a soon-to-be-unveiled global operating system. John Connor rescues Sarah and Kyle, but Pops appears, revealing that John is a T-3000 nanomachine hybrid. John explains that shortly after Kyle was sent back he was infected by Skynet in T-5000 form (Matt Smith). His mission is to ensure that the Cyberdyne Systems Corporation would receive Skynet’s technology and secure its rise.
In a safe house, the protagonists make final preparations to destroy Cyberdyne’s Genisys mainframe. Sarah, Kyle and Pops head toward the Cyberdyne’s headquarters with the T-3000 in close pursuit. During the airborne chase, Pops divebombs into the T-3000’s helicopter, causing it to crash.
Surviving the helicopter crash the T-3000 enters the Cyberdyne complex and advances the countdown from 13 hours to 15 minutes. Pops, Kyle and Sarah plant bombs at key points in the facility while holding off the T-3000. Later, Pops traps the T-3000 in the magnetic field of the prototype time machine and destroys it, but not before the T-3000 manages to throw Pops into a vat of mimetic polyalloy liquid just beneath the magnetic field. Before the machine explodes, Kyle and Sarah reach a bunker beneath the facility. The explosion sets off the bombs and prevents Genisys from coming online. Pops appears, upgraded with mimetic polyalloy components, and helps them find a way out of the debris.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger as Guardian/The Terminator/Pops: A reprogrammed T-800 (Model 101) Terminator sent back in time by an unknown agent, to protect Sarah as a little girl, who ends up being a father figure for her. Sarah usually calls him “Pops”. In addition to the reprogramming, his learning capabilities have also been enabled, allowing adaptation without direction.
- Jason Clarke as John Connor / T-3000: Leader of the Resistance, who, in the original timeline, is the son of Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese. John Connor is compromised by Skynet and transformed into a T-3000, programmed to serve Skynet and ensure that the Cyberdyne Systems would receive its technology to reverse-engineer. He is determined to stop his alternate parents and their cyborg guardian after learning their arrival from 1984.
- Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor: Terminator’s protégée, who is raised and trained by him. “Pops” raises her with the knowledge of what was to be in the original timeline. Because of this, Sarah gains an unparalleled inside knowledge of Skynet and its creations (an advantage her original alternate self lacks), including a capability of building a time machine. She is determined to stop Skynet herself after the murder of her parents by a T-1000, initially avoiding key events that lead to her destiny as John Connor’s mother. She resents the idea of being dictated by fate to be with Kyle Reese, a man she does not know, rather than falling in love with someone she freely chooses to be with.
- Willa Taylor as young Sarah Connor
- Jai Courtney as Kyle Reese John Connor’s right-hand in the Resistance and Sarah Connor’s love interest. He is originally sent to protect her from a T-800 but, after the timeline’s alteration he ends up fighting alongside with her and her terminator “Guardian”. He ultimately learns his paternity to John Connor along with his own death in the original timeline, and becomes reluctant to pursue a romantic relationship with Sarah after realizing John’s manipulations.
- Bryant Prince as young Kyle Reese
- Lee Byung-hunas a T-1000: An advanced shapeshiftingterminator composed of liquid metal sent back in time to assassinate Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese. Another T-1000 travels back to 1973 to kill Sarah Connor as a child, killing her parents in the process, but is stopped by Pops. These events, in addition to Skynet’s actions at 2029, cause the timeline’s alteration, and thus is the catalyst for the events of the film.
- J. K. Simmons as Detective O’Brien: A weary and alcoholic detective who investigates occurrences involving time-travels and terminators after his brief encounter with Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese in 1984. His fascination with the possibility of time-travels cause the protagonists to encounter Kyle’s alternate younger self, after he contacts the Reese family following the discovery of the connection between both Kyles.
- Matt Smith as Skynet/the T-5000: An advanced terminator, the embodiment of Skynet, who has traveled various timelines and dimensions to infiltrate the Resistance, posing as a recruit named “Alex” in the year 2029. Skynet beginsascomputer program, and eventually evolves into the T-5000. Its attacks on 1973, 1984 and 2029 cause the timeline’s alteration, and thus is the catalyst for the events of the film.
- Ian Etheridge as voice of “Genisys” / 10 year old Skynet: Skynet in this altered timeline is initiated by the creation of an app by Cyberdyne Systems, connecting itself worldwide throughout the Internet under a guise of the benevolent A.I. “Genisys”.
- Nolan Gross as 12 / 14 year old Skynet
- Seth Meriwether as 18 year old Skynet
Other cast members include: Aaron V. Williamson as the terminator who corners the young Kyle Reese,Courtney B. Vance as Miles Dyson,Dayo Okeniyi as Danny Dyson,Gregory Alan Williams as Detective Harding,Sandrine Holtas Detective Cheung, Griff Furst as Agent Burke,Douglas Smith as Eric ThompsonandMichael Gladis as Lieutenant Matias.[24
“Once the timeline, or alternate timeline, that was affected by the events in the earlier films, was sorted out, this became the non-stop, action thriller I paid to see. Over the top special effects, a relatively un-cheesy continuation premise, good acting, and whallah! A, 4 -star, sci-fi movie that may bring us two or three more Terminator flicks. As long as Pops is alive, Arnold is back! A recommended sequel.” – MR